FW: [WEB4LIB] Reality check -- card catalogs don't support graph structure?

L. Hunter Kevil mulkevil at showme.missouri.edu
Tue Aug 25 09:34:53 EDT 1998

Nick,

Someone else will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe you are right:
subject
subheadings can appear in only one location in the catalogue.  One of the
long-standing "business rules" of standard cataloguing is that all
procedures should be possible
in card catalogues as well as machine-based catalogues. (Support for this
point of
view may finally be dwindling.) That is why we have automated card
catalogues, not
automated catalogues. Another business rule is that every heading must be
unique. This implies that the heading + subheading are viewed as a unit,
which should "file" in a
unique location.

Good luck with your book.

L. Hunter Kevil