XML/RDF for HyperThesauri(sm)

Gerry Mckiernan GMCKIERN at gwgate.lib.iastate.edu
Sat Aug 22 15:56:23 EDT 1998

                              XML/RDF for HyperThesauri(sm)

In my review of projects and applications that make use of standard or innovative
implementations of thesauri for Managed Conceptual Navigation in digital collection
[See my recent posting: _Brave New Word_], I have learned about the Virtual
HyperGlossary project of Peter Murray-Rust and Lesley West [http://www.gca.org/conf/meta98/xmldev98/peterm-r.htm] . According to their project
                                                     [Snip]

In their implementation, Murray-Rust and West make use of XML and note:

   "Because XML is tree-based it supports hierarchical collections (e.g., thesauri, catalogs, etc.)"

   Although their implementation _appears_ to be currently limited to glossaries,
it has occurred to me that their model and/or XML (or RDF) would be the ideal means of
creating HyperTextEd thesauri for electronic resources, most notably Managed Conceptual
Navigation to Web/Net resources that I envisioned in a concept I called HyperThesauri(sm)
in concluding one of my first print Web-related articles:

New/Old World Wide Order:  The application of 'neo-conventional' functionality to facilitate access and use of a WWW database of science and technology Internet resources. _Journal of Internet Cataloging_ 1(1),  47-55, 1997

    For the survey article I am in the process of preparing, I would very much appreciate
learning about any current or pending projects that have or are considering the use of
XML or RDF to create thesauri for Managed Conceptual Navigation of digital collection, as well as any reactions to this approach.

    As Always, Any and All Contributions, Queries, Questions, Conerns, or Critiques, or Comments are Most Welcolme.

    Joy!

Gerry McKiernan
Theoretical Librarian
Iowa State University
Ames IA 50011

gerrymck at iastate.edu
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/

     "The Best Way to Predict the Future is To Invent It!"
                                  Alan Kay