[WEB4LIB:14704] Death to pop-up windows!

Greg MacGowan macgowan at BINAH.CC.BRANDEIS.EDU
Thu Aug 13 17:05:56 EDT 1998

[Just catching up on some old listserv mail.]

I generally share your resentment towards pop-up windows, especially those
with ads. However, we find pop-up windows to be very useful at times. When
a patron to our website selects a web-based database for which they will
need to enter a password, we present that password in a pop-up window. This
way, the patron can toggle between the database and the pop-up window to
see the password, without having to go to the back button and find the
password all over again.

Speaking for myself only, I don't bother closing pop-up windows; I just
click on the window I want and let the pop-up ad run in the background. Out
of sight, out of mind.  (-:

Greg MacGowan
Brandeis University Libraries