[WEB4LIB:14755] Re: Converting text to HTML

Sheryl Dwinell Sheryl.Dwinell at marquette.edu
Fri Aug 7 16:39:24 EDT 1998

One more word of advice to the person with the original request. Make sure
you retain more than just the URL. You'll need more info so you can change
non-working links after you've run them through link checking software. We
are an Innopac site and after creating a list of all records that contains
and 856 field, I 'list' the URL portion of the 856 field and the bib record
number the link comes from and save them as an ASCII file. I include the bib
record number so I can go back into the record and fix any problems I
encounter while checking links. I convert the ASCII file into a Word97 file
and change the printed URLs into hotlinks by using the Auto Format option.
There are few other bits of cleanup I do before converting it into an HTML
file.  It's kinda clunky doing it this way and I'm investigating a UNIX
alternative.  It would be nice if our catalog vendors could develop some
methodology for checking links within the database rather than having up
jump through all these hoops to do so.

Sheryl Dwinell
Webmaster/Database Management Librarian
Marquette University Libraries