Anyone playing with Mozilla?

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Fri Apr 17 16:24:47 EDT 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Lott <fncll at aurora.alaska.edu>
To: tdowling at ohiolink.edu <tdowling at ohiolink.edu>; Multiple recipients of
list <web4lib at library.berkeley.edu>
Date: Friday, April 17, 1998 4:02 PM
Subject: Re: Anyone playing with Mozilla?

>>I'm sitting here writing a web
>>interface with the HTML 4 spec in one hand, the W3C Accessibility
>>Guidelines in another hand, and a CSS tutorial in another hand (stops,
>>counts hands, watches CSS notebook fall to floor)
>
>Are you seeing enough css aware browser traffic to make this worthwhile,
or
>is this an anticipatory thing?

We're definitely seeing CSS-aware browsers in significant amounts.  On our
general-purpose web server, Netscape 4.x + IE 4.x is totaling around 45%
of total hits. Same figure for our citation indexes server, and our new
electronic journals server is currently showing about 60% of the total
coming from those two browsers.  For each of those servers, add another 6
to 8 percent if you count IE3 as CSS-aware (CSS-dimly-aware?).

[Riddle me this: our citation indexes server routinely shows 17 or 18
percent of all hits coming from Macs, while our other servers routinely
show 10 or 11 Mac use.  These figures have held steady for several months:
are Mac users disproportiately interested in who's citing whom?]

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu