Viruses

Timothy Kambitsch kambitsch at DAYTON.LIB.OH.US
Fri Apr 17 14:24:46 EDT 1998

Michael Sauers wrote in reply:

Re: Public Internet access and floppy drives -Reply

> >So they can use any disk they have.  No uploads, no viruses.
>
> Unfortunately, some viruses only need you to just access the disk so not
> allowing anything to be uploaded won't protect you completely.  (Not that
> there's a way to protect any computer completely short of unplugging it,
> locking it in a closet and loosing the key ;-)

Can anyone confirm this assertation?  It has always been my understanding
that files have to be read to spread a virus.  We have our WinNT
workstations
locked down so users can write to the A: drive, but cannot open any files.
Technically a save file dialog box has to read the directory of a disk to
display its contents.  But are there know viruses that can spead from merely

a directory read?

Tim