Ikiosk and conflicts with other software's security features (OVID)

Stephanie John johnste at pilot.msu.edu
Thu Apr 16 09:31:06 EDT 1998

I downloaded the trial version of Ikiosk and WinPolicy and put it on our OVID MEDLINE workstation and on our two Internet patron workstations.

To make a long story short:
It works beautifully on the patron workstations.  A real joy.

It locked us out of the OVID workstation - it kept the security on but wouldn't let us in to turn Ikiosk off to tweak it.

I called Ikiosk's tech support, expecting grief because we hadn't purchased the software.  "No problem" they said.  They called me back to check out that I was legit, then walked me through the sneaky, long way to kill Ikiosk (that no longer exists with the new update!).  My conclusion was the the OVID software feature that allows you to do a "workstation lock" and the Ikiosk security feature worked together TOO well.  I didn't want to spend the time to figure everything out - I tried turning the "workstation lock" feature off and I get locked out of Ikiosk again, so I've just left Ikiosk off.  I only wanted it on that workstation to control printing and desktop changes, and there are other ways to do that.

Anywho - Ikiosk was wonderful, and this has reminded me that I need to send them money!  I'll be buying more as we add more OPACs, too.

Stephanie
Stephanie C. John, M.Ln., D.M.,A.H.I.P.
Director, Saginaw Health Sciences Library
Saginaw Cooperative Hospitals, Inc.
1000 Houghton Ave., Saginaw MI 48602-5398
Phone: 517/771-6846  johnste at pilot.msu.edu   Fax: 517/771-6898