Of Firewalls And Pricetags

John M. Morris jmorris at dtx.net
Wed Apr 1 01:15:17 EST 1998

On Tue, 31 Mar 1998, jpapier wrote:

> We're ready to offer up our home page on our own computers via the
> beloved Apache web server.  However, I'm balking at firewall pricetags.
> Is anyone using reliable security software at a reasonable price?
> Other solutions to security?

If you are going to run Apache that means the dread incantation "UNIX"
does not scare you..  so stick a Linux box in as your firewall and/or
proxy server.  Odds are you can scare up an old 486 so if you download
Linux or borrow a CD the total cost is zero.  Doubt the price gets any
more reasonable than that.  :-)  If you take the time to research it
properly and configure it correctly it will prove every bit as secure and
stable as any commercial offering....in fact several of the commercial
firewalls are exactly that, only preconfigured and with a 1-800 number
behind it for after sales support.

Or put just a little more iron in the box and run Apache, sendmail, BIND
and the rest of the usual suspects on the same machine.

John M.      http://www.dtx.net/~jmorris         This post is 100% M$ Free!
Geek code 3.0:GCS C+++ UL++++$ P++ L+++ W+ N++ w--- Y+ 5+++ R tv- b++ e* r%