Announcement: major site revision

JQ Johnson jqj at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Fri Apr 10 09:25:22 EDT 1998

Tom Dowling asks:

> This is not a criticism, but I'm curious about what etiquette issues other
> people see in presenting Site A completely within a frame at Site B.  It
> isn't something I would ever do without permission (if I used frames, that
> is), but assuming I wasn't making it look like my own work, I'm not sure I
> can quite put my finger on why not.

Apart from the etiquette, the legal issues of this practice are being
actively debated, with several cases (notably the ticketmaster one) pointing
to a conclusion that this represents copyright violation, at least in the
U.S.

As a non-lawyer, I would advise that you NOT use framing or IMG tags
pointing at other people's copyrighted image URLs without explicit
permission or adequate legal counsel.  An ordinary link -- essentially just
a citation -- even if it points to the middle of a site (hence bypassing a
front door advertisement or something) seems completely legal, though not
necessarily good etiquette.  Use links instead of framing the actual
content!

For more information, see for instance recent discussions on the
cni-copyright mailing list, archived at http://www.cni.org

JQ Johnson                      office: 115F Knight Library
Academic Education Coordinator  mailto:jqj at darkwing.uoregon.edu
1299 University of Oregon       phone: 541-346-1746 (v) -3485 (fax)
Eugene, OR  97403-1299          http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~jqj/