Netscape Communicator 4.0 and Telnet problem

Bart Gierson bgierson at dekalb.dc.peachnet.edu
Fri Apr 3 08:39:25 EST 1998

Hi all,

We are running Pentium machinines with Win '95 and Netscape Communicator
4.0. We are using  PCTCP's Telnet and Telnet 3270 applications. I have
successfully associated (Edit/Preferences/Navigator/Appplications) the
wtnvt.exe Telnet file by adding %1 after the path (i.e.
c:\pctcp\wtnvt.exe %1). However, rather than directly connecting to the
Telnet site clicked on, it opens the "Available Sessions" screen, from
which one must choose previously configured sessions, or create a new
one. As these machines are student workstations, this is not very
practical. (Yes, I have also placed shortcuts on the desktop, and have
added the Telnet url to the "target" path, and there is no problem -
it's just that we want to be able to create bookmarks and/or links that
also work this seamlessly.) We do not want to use Netscape's default
Telnet program, for it does not highlight our local holding (our online
catalog is DRA).

We are having the same problem with the 3270 Telnet (wtn3270.exe)
application. Has anybody else out there experienced similar problems and
found a workaround? Due to budgetary constraints, we can't afford to
purchase Telnet programs at this time, so we are limited to shareware
products. I tried using EWAN, but it does not scroll properly, and chops
off the top portion of records.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bart
--
Bart Gierson - Information Services Librarian
Gwinnett University System Center Library
bgierson at dekalb.dc.peachnet.edu
"All opinions expressed are my own."