Page creation and maintenance tools for Windows 3.11

Sheryl Dwinell dwinells at vms.csd.mu.edu
Tue Sep 30 15:33:00 EDT 1997

The whole issue of how editors treat HTML is important in a situation where
you have multiple people doing page development. I find it really
frustrating to be given a file for uploading onto our server that according
to its author 'looks' good in the WYSIWIG editor, but when run through a
validator is full of errors.

Thanks to Tom for doing this little bit of editor investigative work! We
went round and round with a couple editors here (Netscape 3.0 Gold, Adobe
Pagemill, Word 97) that we hoped would allow someone in another department
to take an HTML file that I 'fixed' (i.e. ran through a validator and made
all the necessary corrections) that they could use to update & post a
weekly computer lab schedule. It was really frustrating that every time
we'd open the file in any of those editors they'd insert their own mystery
bits of markup. In addition, I made the table width 100% and not one of the
editors would keep the table width set to a percentage, they'd change it to
absolute width (somewhere around 540 pixels). I finally installed the beta
FrontPage98 on a PC in the other deparment machine and now we can both be
sure that the file won't change when it is opened. I'm also a fan of the
text-based editor HomeSite. I love the global find & replace feature that
allows you to fix HTML markup across files, and limit to files in a
specific directory.  I have also been using FrontPage 98 beta quite a bit.
I have used FP97 for about a year and 98 has some added features that make
me like it even more.  I hadn't heard of FrontPad, but I think I'll check
it out.

Sheryl Dwinell * Cataloger/DBM Librarian/Webmaster
Memorial Library * Marquette University
P.O. Box 3141 * Milwaukee, WI 53201-3141
414-288-3406 * dwinells at vms.csd.mu.edu