The Apple Library Closes

Roy Tennant rtennant at library.berkeley.edu
Tue Sep 23 22:54:18 EDT 1997

Today, September 23, the Apple Computer Library closed for good.

I don't know many details, but I do know that some of the best librarians
I know are leaving a company to whom they've given their best for well
over a decade. Among them are librarians like Steve Cisler and Janet
Vratny, who were early champions of the Internet within the library
community. Among Steve's many accomplishments were the organization of
conferences for community-based networking (e.g., Free-Nets) and the
Apple Library of Tommorow (ALOT) Program. Janet Vratny traveled widely to
participate in the development of technical specifications at meetings
few librarians attended, and yet the results of which touch our work
every day.

No message as brief as this can do justice to the contributions of our
Apple Library colleagues, and in any case I am not the one to write it. I
know of their work only as it has touched my work, although it has
frequently and with significant impact. Monica Ertel, the incredible
leader who created it and kept it together for so long, is probably the
only one really qualified to write it. But for now this will have to do.

Forgive me if I cannot call to mind any group of colleagues I respect
more than those who are now closing their doors in Cupertino, California.
Please join me in wishing them the very best of luck in whatever they
choose to do.

Roy Tennant