URL for Expanded, updated WWW/Internet Online Tutorial (fwd)

Joe Barker jbarker at library.berkeley.edu
Mon Sep 22 18:22:09 EDT 1997

Here is the outline URL for the page below

http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/TeachingLib/Guides/Internet/FindInfo.html

Subject: Expanded, updated WWW/Internet Online Tutorial

	The UC Berkeley Teaching Library Internet Tutorial has just been
revised to include the latest changes in Alta Vista, Infoseek, Lycos,
Excite, Hotbot, and several other search engines.  I makes specific
recommendations based on search effectiveness with difficult topics.
	It now recommends and describes starting most searches in one of 4
best meta-search engines.  They can save you a lot of time.
	It recommends and has detailed instructions for the new Northern
Light database (web+journal articles).
	And it describes dozens of ways of finding documents beyond the
realm of keyword searching (webliographies, weblopedias, webraries, grant
info, international web, and more).

	The tutorial includes basic introduction to the web, Netscape,
and using them.  Soon we hope to incorporate Internet Explorer.

	It is the outgrowth of ongoing WWW/Netscape/Searching classes
offered by the Teaching Library at UC Berkeley -- a series of 3 classes,
lasting altogether 8 hours.  Open to the public as well as our students,
faculty and staff, the classes reach an estimated 3000 attendees, maybe
some 1500 individuals, annually.

	We welcome any comments, questions, suggestions, or criticisms
from anyone involved in teaching the internet or the web.  Thanks.

	Joe Barker, Program Coordinator for Web Instruction
	The Teaching Library
	University of California
	Berkeley 94720

jbarker at library.berkeley.edu