internet library instruction

Dean C. Rowan wpl at quick.net
Mon Sep 22 02:43:22 EDT 1997

We provide monthly Internet training to twenty to forty interested
(public library) patrons.  The class assumes almost no knowledge of
Internet on the part of the attendee; you may be able to assume that
your students have a sense of what it entails.

Our classes run about one and a half hours, including Q&A.  We
encourage questions throughout the session.  After about two or three
classes, you can anticipate certain questions, but there will always
be one or two new queries.

Originally, over two years ago, we tried to introduce many of the
technologies:  FTP, gopher, telnet and WWW.  Now, we focus on WWW,
maybe demonstrating a gopher site, if the circumstances permit it.
We spend time searching using "search engines," e.g., AltaVista,
HotBot, etc.  We also talk about "how to connect" because many of the
attendees are interested in buying a computer and finding an ISP.

We use an LCD projector to project the screen from which we're working.
There is no hands-on activity for the patrons.  Rather, we invite
patrons back for individualized hands-on training.  Your situation may be
otherwise; take the advice of the respondent who suggested an
assistant per each ten to fifteen students.  Hands-on training introduces
an additional layer of complexity.  If you are offering hands-on
training and if you do expect that your students are already
comfortable with computers and with the 'net, you could easily spend
half a day going over frames, multiple sessions, searching,
downloading, printing...  Personally, I would say that searching
training is paramount.  Few people take the time to learn the
intricacies of the "search engines."  Heck, few people take the time
to learn how to search a library catalog!

Dean C. Rowan
Whittier Public Library