Q: Technical Support in your Library (for staff!)

Jen McLeod mcleodj at vega.ursus.maine.edu
Thu Sep 18 14:22:21 EDT 1997

Hello, Fellow Web4Lib-ers!

We here at Fogler Library are in the process of developing a technical
support and troubleshooting "guide" or "chain-of-command" or whatever
you'd like to call it and need some guidance.

Has anyone out there done any or some or all of the following for their
libraries:

1.  written technical troubleshooting manuals for staff (to answer basic
questions)

2. developed training programs for staff, to help them learn their new
roles as technical librarians and support staff.

3.  determined a chain of command chart - whom to call when, when to
call whom, and how complex problems should be reported.

4.  created a plan of action for public computer versus staff computer
problems: who handles the problems, who reports them?

5.  Formulated a basis for reporting problems - electronic databases?
Paper forms that are routed to appropriate tech staff?  A "hotline"
voice-mailbox?  Web-based forms with results logged somewhere?

6.  hired Technical staff and/or work-study students for technical
troubleshooting?  How many?  Who supervises them?

Obviously, there are a lot of questions here and a lot of possibilities
- we really need to set something in placeand I would appreciate any and
all feedback!  Please e-mail me directly, and I _promise_ to summarize
the results for the list!

Thank you ALL so much!

- Jen (mcleodj at vega.ursus.maine.edu)

Jennifer McLeod - CWIS Coordinator, University of Maine
V: 207-581-1696  F: 207-581-1653 - http://www.ume.maine.edu/

"Much like a subtle spider which doth sit / In middle of her web, which
spreadeth wide; / If aught do touch the utmost thread of it, / She feels
it
		instantly on every side."   -- Sir John Davies, _The
Immortality of the Soul_