counting internet usage

Jim Morgan morganj at iupui.edu
Thu Sep 11 10:04:52 EDT 1997

The "about:global" command in Netscape generates a log of traffic on that
particular browser.  The log includes every item downloaded.  I found that
on older slower machines it can get so large that it's hard to generate.

The log also creates the same counting problems as server web logs, since
it includes every item retrieved - images, pages, cgi commands - so that
simple counts are not very meaningful.  A page with 6 images generates 7
entries, etc.  (I'm looking at a Netscape communicator version as I write
this; earlier versions of Netscape may behave differently.)  So, just as
with server web logs, some interpretation is necessary. If you wanted to
compare traffic between libraries, for example, you might want to separate
out just html pages, or just the number of separate sites
contacted.  To get a record of the number of sites visited, you might
want to just count the first time each user visits a site which is
difficult to do since there's no user record.  A fair substitute might be
to count the first time a site is visited in each 15-minute segment.  But
unless there's some agreement on standard definitions between libraries,
the resulting statistics will be difficult to compare.

Jim Morgan
morganj at iupui.edu