W3Launch/ProQuest/Printing

Dale E. Goodell GOODELD at fsa.wou.edu
Tue Sep 9 17:58:15 EDT 1997

I'm cross-posting this message to CDROMLAN and WEB4LIB; please
excuse any duplication.

I don't know if many people have dealt with this error condition, but
it's worth a try here.

I have configured our Reference Room public workstations with
Netscape v3.01 (running on Windows for Workgroups 3.11) as the user
interface.  From there, I'm running W3Launch to access our network-
based compact discs.  Generally, this has worked quite well so far.
All printing goes to a networked (NetWare 4.10) HP LaserJet 5M
postscript printer (capturing the LPT1 port). I have discovered that,
when trying to print from ProQuest Searchware (DOS) v4.41, the
following error message displays:

    Output Error: could not open <LPT1> for output.  Retry or Abort.

Hitting Reply simply repeats the error message.

If I run the batch file for that CD from a DOS prompt, then try to
print to the same printer, it works great.  I have also tried running
the ProQuest application as a Windows icon (independent from
Netscape), and printing works fine.  In addition, I have tried
printing to a different networked printer (PCL) from
Netscape/W3Launch, etc.), resulting in the same error.  I feel the
error is caused by W3Launch, and not because I am trying to print to
a postscript printer.  All of my other CDs, from different vendors
(NewsBank, Wilson, SilverPlatter, etc.) all print fine when run
through W3Launch; I'm only having problems with ProQuest.

Has anyone solved similar problems?  Thank you very much, in
advance, for your help.

Dale E. Goodell
User Support Analyst
Western Oregon University Library