Compilation of cgi form information

Stephanie Kraus krauss at crisny.org
Thu Sep 4 09:15:26 EDT 1997

First- thank you to all that responded to my question regarding
collection information from online forms either by e-mail or cgi
script.  I decided to go with the software CGIStar with a back-up of an
e-mail form.  I need the back up because our ISP is very wary of me
using the cgi method and have me "on probation" with its use!  Anyways
here are the responses I received for those of you who asked:

* Be advised that this is a Netscape-specific solution.[using mailto:]
Other browsers handle action="mailto..." differently.  Most notably,
Internet Explorer opens a blank e-mail composition window and disregards
any form inputs.  IMO, action="mailto..." is not an adequate substitute
for CGI scripting (which need not be in Perl, btw).

*  I experimented with it [mailto command] at a former job and ended up
looking for ways to get a decent script
instead.   The input text did get emailed to me OK (this was using
NetScape - I've heard it doesn't work with Internet Explorer), but it
was all mooshed together with some extra characters thrown in.
Readability wasn't very good.  It wouldn't be too bad for a very simple
form with a small number of fields, like maybe Comments: and From:   But
I wanted to use it for things like ILL Request forms with LOTS of
fields!    I ended up copying and modifying some "CGI-like but not perl"
VAX/VMS scripts  that came with our DRA web/catalog interface - worked
great.

* The mail output isn't pretty.  I use a shareware program called
WebParse which I got from TUCOWS to convert the messages to
comma-delimited files which I then load into Excel to create pretty
reports.

* CGI*Star is shareware which easily and rapidly generates CGIs for HTML
forms in Web pages. Web sites become interactive in minutes. No
knowledge of CGI or PERL is required.
http://www.webgenie.com/Software/Cspro/

* CGI & perl are the best solutions - there is a wonderful site that
would make it easy for your system administrator or whoever does cgi for
your site to set it up:
http://www.worldwidemart.com/scripts/formmail.shtml

* Using ACTION="mailto:xxx" will mail the unformatted responses to you.
When I first started publishing on the Web, this was the method I used.
You can test it by creating a simple form and using your own mailto:
address, then
fill out the form and submit it and watch your e-mail. I recommend you
try it. For more information on forms check:
http://werbach.com/barebones/barebone.html#forms
or
http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/SDG/Docs/fill-out-forms/
has info including cgi code that you can use and lots of good examples;
if you follow the links.

Again- Thank you for all the responses!

Stephanie Kraus
Head of Outreach & Internet Services