Dissing the Discount

bruce pomerantz brucep at fuse.net
Thu Sep 4 00:57:50 EDT 1997

Cross posted without apologies to PubLib because of the obvious overlap.

Subject:  Dissing the Discount

I've just read information provided by the State Library of Ohio regarding the
telecommunications discount. <http://winslo.ohio.gov/erate.html#content>

Would someone please clarify some points for me?  Such as:

1.  This is for TELECOMMUNICATIONS links, right?  But that translates
exclusively into "telephone connection."  Seems like we're inextricably
linking ourselves to a specific technology which in the foreseeable future is
going to be obsolete.  What kind of discount will libraries get when direct
satellite internet downlinks are available?  Or, think Web TV.  Sure, it's in its
infancy.  So is digital television (HDTV--high definition television).  What if
digital and Web TV combine?  Do you think these Corporate Welfare
Moochers (they got the digital bandwidths, worth $70 billion, for free,
remember) will gladly volunteer discounts to their internet services should a
library so request?
     Why does the legislation focus on the MEANS to link to internet
service providers and ignore the expenses paid TO internet service
providers?  (Which is the thrust of the lawsuit filed against the discount by
SBC Communications.  See also #3 below.)  It seems to me that rather than
libraries gaining a discount, the telephone companies are gaining a captured
audience.  As they lose business to competing means of
telecommunication, I foresee libraries propping up the telephone companies
because we librarians will not obtain alternative access because "it will be
too costly to switch."

2.  The discount is for a basic telephone connection, right?  Well, what
about the interior of the library?  What good is having all this information
spewing to the library's outer wall and stoppered inside the walls because
the library is wired with reliable but slow copper?  Is there any provision
made for discounting the installation of fiber optic cable INSIDE the library?
     For that matter, is there any provision or incentive for the telephone
companies to provide fiber optic cable to the outer walls?  How eager will
they be to provide state-of-the-art technology to libraries when they perceive
us as not paying "our fair share"?  Is it likely that telephone companies will
become the equivalent of slum lords to libraries' telecommunication needs?

3.  I urge library administrators who plan to apply for the discount to track
staff monetary units (staff labor times their hourly salary rate) needed to
acquire the discount.  Then, multiply by two to account for other work which
didn't get done as staff worked on the discount.  Compare this cost with your
discounts to see if it indeed was worth the effort.  (Can you spell Universal
Health Care Coverage Fiasco?)
     By the way, do smaller libraries have the staff to shift duties around so
someone has the time to plan and apply for the discount?  Seems like all
this bureaucratic effort will benefit the large and medium libraries.  In other
words, them that's all ready gots, gets more.
     Also, isn't any work done to apply for the discount really a gamble?  If
SBC Communications wins the lawsuit against the discount, not only is the
discount lost but so is all the staff monetary units and by-passed
opportunities that went into staff preparing for the discount application.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm all for tax-supported public libraries receiving tax-
generated revenues.  But the discount is not derived from taxes.
Consequently, strings are attached and Big Brother is not just watching but
dictating.  Give me the taxed money and let me decide how I'll spend it.

But, perhaps I'm just confused.  Can anyone enlighten me?

Bruce Pomerantz
(on sabbatical)
Cincinnati, OH

(Note:  the $70 billion figure is from the following source:  Ratnesar,
Romesh, "A Bandwidth Bonanza," Time, 1 September 1997, 60. )