WEB4LIB digest 779

Stacy Pober Spober at manhattan.edu
Wed Sep 3 19:39:54 EDT 1997

Ronnie Morgan said:
> If most of you advocate "parents choice", why is this so "chilling"?  Was
> the father not making the choice in this case?
>
> One would think a simple instruction to the LIBRARY would have been
> sufficient.

Sufficient HOW?  Is this kid so unique looking that every staffer
knows him?  If the terminals are available for the public without a
sign-in and verification of identity procedure, how will they pick
out this particular kid.  And if they do, how does it become their
business to kick this one off the Internet terminals, when this is a
service offered to the rest of the patrons?   I mean, if a parent was
strongly against their kid having access, perhaps they should come
WITH the child to the library, where the parents could monitor the
kid.  (I'm assuming that they have already instructed their child not
to use the computers - if they don't trust him, then it seems to me
that it's their business to supervise him directly.)

To be honest, porn searching on the web is not a problem at our
Internet terminals, and we're dealing with a college-aged population.
Not that we don't see what we consider inappropriate use of the
terminals, but this is mainly use for IRC Chat and game playing.  We
have a policy that academic use takes precedence over recreational
use, but many students are too polite to ask us to boot someone to
free up a terminal, and if we're busy at the reference desk, we may
not notice a problem.

Back to the subject of children having  access to <gasp> EVERYTHING.
I guess I fall somewhere in between the two extremes of "libraries
should provide all patrons to access to everything through the
Internet" and "Keep sexual material out of reach of all ages" groups.
 I can see a use for filters in the Children's Room at a public
library.  However, what's that magic age where you become an adult?
Is it 18?  Most people are curious about sex before that, but who is
to say when they should be allowed to access sexually explicit
material?  And where are the lines between sexual material that is
educational or erotic or pornographic?  Who gets to say?  I mean, the
lingerie section of the Sears catalog used to be hot stuff in some
areas.  Perhaps we should restrict all graphics use...oops, there go
maps and charts and news photos.

And another thing...do we let the most  heltered or sensitive people
in a population decide what should be available in the rest of the
library?   Not usually.  Then why would  we allow the needs of  those
people decide what the rest of us should be allowed to see on the
Internet?

The difference between buying a particular magazine and having open
access to the Internet is vast.  The Internet is simply an access
medium, the way the telephone system is. As far as I know, we might
put public phones in the library, but we don't monitor the phones to
make sure people aren't making calls to sex lines or to discuss
sexual matters.  We assume that where they call is NONE OF OUR
BUSINESS.  And we provide phone directories and change for the phone.
 That's a little closer to how I see the Internet access.  When you
subscribe to a magazine, and put it on the public shelving for browse
use, you do give it a bit of an endorsement and because of resource
concerns, you want to choose wisely to get the greatest good from
your spending.  However, it costs a library no more to give total
access to the web than it does to give access to just the few sites
that everyone can agree on.

I can see why some parents are so upset.   The net has been demonized
in the media as the source of all manner of evils.   But really,
there is little that is really new on the net with regard to human
misbehavior.   Again, as I see it, it's very like the phone:  you can
use the phone to call your mom or your house of worship, or you can
use it to plan a bombing or solicit sex.  It's not the phone that's
causing the crime.

Hmm, I suppose that the argument could be made that the Amish have
kept to such strict behavior standards over the years simply because
of lack of electricity and telephones....

Stacy Pober                   Internet: spober at manvax.cc.manhattan.edu
Information Alchemist         http://www.manhattan.edu/library/mclmenu.html
Manhattan College Libraries   Phone:  718-862-7980
Riverdale, NY 10471           Fax:  718-862-7995