Hustler Magazine Challenge, Week 2

Andrew J. Mutch amutch at TLN.LIB.MI.US
Tue Sep 2 16:51:09 EDT 1997

I hate continuing this debate but...

Ronnie,

David does not advocate "protecting children from porn" or offering
"libraries a choice" whether to choose to filter or not to filter...read
his FilteringFacts site.

He does not support the right of libraries not to filter.  He is adamantly
against the viewing of pornography in the library(how is it defined, you
may ask--good question) and libraries that allow unlimited access to the
Net, even to adults, will not recieve the blessings of Mr. Burt.

Also, while David likes to play up the angle of "protecting children", he
consistently has advocated a position that would allow indiscriminate
censorship of even non-pornographic material. Is your community offended
by gays and lesbians, environmentalists, or reliogious fundamentalists?
David's position would allow for the filtering of any or all this material
by any board or librarian so inclined.  Not once has he stated a standard
by which filtering software should be judged or sites should be blocked.
Why?  Because his position is one for unlimited filtering--not just child
porn or hate speech--anything is fair game to him.  I challenge David to
refute this position in writing and on his site.  I have never read
anything from his that would convince to the contrary.

Andrew Mutch