databases restricted by ip address

ACADMARG at STMARYTX.EDU ACADMARG at STMARYTX.EDU
Wed Sep 17 20:38:21 EDT 1997

I wonder if there is an easy way to handle this problem.  We have a
number of databases now that are available to our students and faculty
through the web but are restricted to our campus by ip address.  We
have some off-campus locations where students  have classes that would also
like access to these database.  We also have some faculty and students
using private ISPs from their homes who would like access.

Our computer center does not offer slip access via modem.

Is there a simple way to set up web access for these folks so that
they will appear to have a campus IP address for purposes of accessing
these databases?  We don't want to set up banks of modems in the library
for them to dial into. We want them somehow to connect to our website,
give their ID as their password (or something), and be connected.

The vendors offering the databases are not offering us password access,
we can only get ip verification.

Remember, this has to be simple because I am simple-minded.  Or is this
not possible?

Thanks.

Margaret Sylvia                           Assistant Professor
St. Mary's University Academic Library    acadmarg at stmarytx.edu
One Camino Santa Maria                    voice (210) 436-3441
San Antonio, TX 78228-8608                fax (210) 436-3782