Java crashes on Win95 Netscape 4.02 (standalone)

Sheryl Dwinell dwinells at vms.csd.mu.edu
Fri Sep 12 10:40:45 EDT 1997

At 09:56 AM 9/11/97 -0700, you wrote:

>Anyone else experiencing frequent Java crashes on Win95 Netscape 4.02
>(standalone).  Any ideas if this version of Netscape is buggy or other
>possible causes? This is happening on our Win95 public machines also
>running Fortres and IKiosk. Thanks.

I've experienced the same thing. We have a Java scrolling bar on our
homepage and ever since I upgraded to the standalone version of NS 4.02
Navigator I'd say that half of the time I couldn't access the page.  Here's
what would happen, the status bar says: 'Starting Java ... and then stalls,
then I'd have to ctl-alt-del, 'end task'. It was Navigator that
stalled/crashed, not Win95. I found an answer at the NS homepage.  After a
frustrating experience using their search engine, which revealed only one
hit for "navigator and java", I finally found this bit of info on the
'Release Notes' page for 4.0.2, under 'Known Issues':

If you downloaded the stand-alone edition of Netscape Navigator 4.0 on
August 19 or before and experienced problems running Java, please download
it again and re-install Navigator.

I downloaded the program again and so far, so good.  By the way, has anyone
seen NS' new homepage.  It's too busy and most pages take forever to
download (even with a T1 connection) What a mess! (personal opinion, of
course *grin*).

Sheryl Dwinell * Cataloger/DBM Librarian/Webmaster
Memorial Library * Marquette University
P.O. Box 3141 * Milwaukee, WI 53201-3141
414-288-3406 * dwinells at vms.csd.mu.edu