Directory Sites?

William J. Frost fros at planetx.bloomu.edu
Wed Sep 10 17:14:39 EDT 1997

On Mon, 8 Sep 1997, Jennifer Sarber wrote:

> Greetings everyone:
>
> We have a website for children's librarians on an Apple webserver.  The
> correct address is:
> http://www.statelib.lib.in.us/www/ldo/childrens/index.htm.  The problem
> is someone published the address as:
> http://www.statelib.lib.in.us/www/ldo/childrens/  and forgot the file
> name index.htm.
>
> So in my efforts to help find a solution I would like to change the
> childrens/ from a file folder to a directory with a default document as
> index/htm.  Is that even possible, am I saying anything that is even
> sensible?
>
> I have tried to make the childrens/ its own document but it would not
> work.
>
> I appreciate any help offered.
>
> Sincerely,
> Jennifer
> --
> Jennifer Sarber
> Indiana State Library
> Management Information Services
> jsarber at statelib.lib.in.us
> http://www.statelib.lib.in.us

Jennifer,

By default, index.html designates that page as the home page for a site.
Anyone going to the directory
http://www.statelib.lib.in.us/www/ldo/childrens/  will automatically be
taken to index.htm.  9 less characters for your users to type, so the
publishers actually performed a service.  You don't have to change a
thing!

	Bill Frost                       Harvey A. Andruss Library
	Reference Librarian              Bloomsburg University
	717-389-4126                     Bloomsburg, PA  17815
	fros at bloomu.edu                  Fax 717-389-3895
	Listowner CAPi-L		 http://planetx.bloomu.edu/~fros/