Security and Netscape tips wanted - Windows 3.11

sshone at dewey.pub-lib.ci.arlington.tx.us sshone at dewey.pub-lib.ci.arlington.tx.us
Mon Sep 8 11:32:29 EDT 1997

In addition to my other technical duties, my job includes making sure the
software configuration settings and other hard-disk-related information
are not trashed by patrons, either intentionally or by accident. We are
using a combination of things to try to do this.  Because of the interaction
between some of the products, and the "not quite exactly what I want to do"
nature of the software, I'm having some interesting problems.

I have looked through the Web4lib archives, read the Netscape online help,
and done whatever else I can think of for tips (in between having vendors
tell me that it's not ..their.. software causing the problem).  If anyone
else is doing anything similar or has a good hold on their security
situation, I'd appreciate hearing from them.

Our hardware/software configuration follows:

Pentium PCs running DOS 6.22 and Windows for Workgroups 3.11
Network settings are TCP/IP for Internet connectivity only
BIOS passwords installed
McAfee Webscan and Viruscan for Windows installed
Fortres 101 (WFW version) installed for pc security
CyberPatrol (PLEASE, NO FILTERING INPUT!!!! - WE'RE TESTING)
Netscape 3.01 (WFW version)

Fortres seems to want access to several .ini files that I would otherwise
have protected.  I tried bringing up Netscape in true kiosk mode, but it
loses the Forward/Back arrow which I think our patrons need.  I want to
keep Netscape as functional as possible without letting patrons change
our Bookmark file and other preferences (Fortres should handle this).

As long as I'm admitting my ignorance, could anyone help me with another
situation?  My library is very privacy conscious, and we are aware that
a patron can come up and see what the previous patron has done by checking
the History or Go tabs.  I have Cleared the Disk and Memory cache and the
History records are still there.  Do I have to physically delete files?
Is there any documentation (pardon me, good and useful documentation)
on tweaking Netscape?

Any advice/information gladly received.  I will summarize for the list if
there is any info of general interest.

Thanks in advance!

Saralyn Shone
Arlington Public Library