Death Threat Woes

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Thu Oct 30 12:30:37 EST 1997

At 09:05 AM 10/30/97 -0800, you wrote:
>To settle some of the ponderings concerning whether or not
>net-based email can be traced to a machine, here's a copy of
>a rocketmail email header:

>                 Here's the culprit!

The same is true if you use Netscape Mail, Eudora, or any other POP3 client
I've ever seen.  It even works with DHCP or other dynamically assigned ip
number systems.  Of course then you have to have a log that shows what ip
number was assigned to what machine (or dialup user) at what time, but it
should still be possible to track down if done in a timely manner.

dan   (sending this from machine cyclops.idbsu.edu, also 132.178.18.4)

Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho 83716-7115 USA
dan at 84.com   http://www.84.com/   http://www.lili.org/
http://library.idbsu.edu/   http://cyclops.idbsu.edu/
Albertsons Library at Boise State, the University for Idaho
Sent me a postcard of a library yet?  You'll get something nice in return.
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.  Erasmus, 1534