Web4Lib Archive searching improved!

Roy Tennant rtennant at library.berkeley.edu
Thu Oct 30 11:39:09 EST 1997

This past week I finally got around to upgrading the search engine on the
Web4Lib archive from SWISH to our improved version SWISH-Enhanced. You
have only Bob Duncan (duncanr at lafvax.lafayette.edu) to thank, as he was
tenacious enough to stay after me until I fixed it.

The bugs in SWISH were what had originally spurred me to request
permission from Kevin Hughes to fix it. We then further enhanced it with
such things as META tag support. This new version will greatly improve
the accuracy of your search results, so please accept my apology for
allowing this problem to go on for so long.

There is another problem, however, that I am still trying to solve.
Hypermail, which we use to provide browsing of the archive, puts in links
to other messages to provide navigation. Unfortunately, by putting in the
subject lines of other messages this creates false drops. I've
investigated the quick fix to no avail. So until I find an appropriate
solution, please be aware that you will always get more hits than you
should. Again, my apology for the situation.

Also, I will be leaving in a few days for some back-to-back trips that
will basically put me out of touch for two weeks. I hope to be checking
mail here and there, but I will not be monitoring bounced mail or
removing subscribers. My colleague and old Web4Lib hand Dave Rez will be
taking over the helm in my absence. If you need personal assistance from
November 1 - 17, please email drez at library.berkeley.edu.
Thanks,
Roy Tennant
Web4Lib Owner