CD ROM to WWW migration -Reply

John Rosenhamer jrosenhamer at okc.cc.ok.us
Thu Oct 30 08:23:04 EST 1997

>>> Howard Pasternack <BLIPS15 at brownvm.brown.edu> 10/29/97
07:39pm >>>
I have to take exception about the advantages of local cd rom network
access as opposed to the Web.  Many of the products which are
available
only in CD form have clients which operate on only one technical
platform.
No matter what the technical sophistication of your lan and cd network
software, there is no simple way to explain to a faculty member in the
history department why her Macintosh can not access the ABC-Clio
Press
history databases.

I agree whole heartedly.  We had (notice HAD) a CD-ROM network
which worked well in its DOS mode.  Ran it with Netware 3.x and then
4.x.  With an upgrade to Windows 3.1 it was still very tolerable.

We still had outages., Server crashes, CD_ROM not wanting to load, etc.
etc. etc.  I was called consistantly for this and that.  And often when I
got there the problem had ceased and could not be replicated.  We got
(from Ebsco) those wonderful red screens.  We booted and rebooted
machines, etc.etc.etc.

Then came Windows95.  Nightmare.  The products didn't like each other
and the vendors were very slow to go to a windows interface.

We jumped at the chance to get access via the Web.  We still have some
problems, but nothing like before.  And the greatest is waiting.  But we're
up, we'er runing -- AND I'm not called again and again to get us back up.
Worst thing is when the vendor's servers are down.  Once for an
upgrade and once for a winter storm.  If they can build in some
redundency, than shouldn't happen.

WE are VERY, VERY satisfied with our Web access and VERy, VERy,
happy to dump the CD-ROMs.

John

John H. Rosenhamer                            Technical Service Librarian
Oklahoma City Community College
7777 S. May Ave.
Oklahoma City, OK  73013                     (405) 682-1611 x7229
jrosenhamer at okc.cc.ok.us                   Fax: (405) 682-7585
jrosenhamer at dante.okc.cc.ok.us