file://, downloading, email & chat

Chuck Bearden cbearden at sparc.hpl.lib.tx.us
Wed Oct 29 11:38:43 EST 1997

> Date:          Tue, 28 Oct 1997 10:13:09 -0800
> From:          "Shellie Whittaker" <swhittak at ctc.ctc.edu>

> Does anyone know how (I am infinitely confident that lots of you do!)
> to prevent the use of the file:// command for displaying (and
> running) local files from within the browser?

As far as I know, you will have to disable this by using a hex editor
on the netscape executable.  There's a good tutorial (by Carole
Leita, I think) on doing this at

	http://www.lib.berkeley.edu:8000/NS/file/hexedit.html

> Also, as long as I'm here, how are you preventing downloading to the
> local hard drive.

You can use Fortres or StopLight or something like them to protect
all files and directories on the hard drive.

You can also use IKIOSK to disable all menus, buttons, etc., that
permit saving files to disk.  You also need to check all the file
associations in Netscape's Helpers window, because some helper apps
may make provisions for saving files as well.

Hyper Technologies also has a product called WinSelect, but I haven't
tried it yet.  It may also do what you need.

Chuck
Chuck Bearden
                                email: cbearden at hpl.lib.tx.us
Network Services Librarian
Automation Department		voice: 713/247-2264
Houston Public Library		fax:   713/247-1182
500 McKinney Ave.
Houston, TX  77002