Electronic libraries

MRSCLIST MRSCLIST at mrsc.org
Wed Oct 29 09:18:36 EST 1997

> OK, all you experts...
>
> I hope this isn't off topic for this list, but as the "computer"
> professionals in our libraries we're sometimes asked to give input on
> anything related to computers. Has anyone faced a board or
administrator
> who insists that the library can be ALL electronic?  "They" have heard
> of paperless libraries and how EVERYTHING is available online or on a
CD
> and they either want you to research this or insist you implement it.

I guess what rankles me about the above scenario is that some part time
policy maker reads an article in a haphazard fashion, creates a couple
weak theories on the future of electronic libraries and how they can save
their taxpayers a couple bucks, then dumps the whole load onto their
library administration to prove or disprove their half-assed conclusions.
It's like a legal system that makes the defendant prove their innocence.
The library administration has to knock themselves out trying to research
a premise that the board member should have done his homework on, giving
his facts, figures, conclusions in a cohesive and organized manner, not
just tossing off some "fact" he read in a magazine that he read somewhere
(but can't remember what it was).

More power to you, Jill, for taking up the challange. I would of been
tempted to tell the administrator to do his own damn homework!

Andrew Derby
Municipal Research and Services Center of Washington Library