Death Threat Woes

Steve Hooley hooleyss at gsaix2.cc.GaSoU.EDU
Mon Oct 27 12:38:37 EST 1997

        During the Carter administration an ex-military person of my
acquaintance became enraged over the Panama Canal situation and, after
consuming a quantity of his favorite beverage, phoned the White House to
declare that the President ought to be shot. Within 45 minutes agents had
driven from a nearby FBI office to roust him ( and were relieved to find an
inebriated ex-colonel instead of an anarchist). My understanding of such
things is that they are obliged to investigate any threat if they can.
On the bright side, I've also heard that this is a favorite net harassment
tactic: using a victim's name via public terminal email to threaten the
president or his family. Maybe they've given up on email threats...
(snip)

|   Stephen S. Hooley         |  Statesboro Ga
|  Romulan Tech Assistant     |  Home of the
|    Henderson Library        |  Statesboro
|"It's Only a Job Description"|  Blues