Death Threat Woes

HIS his at virtuallibrarian.com
Sat Oct 25 12:18:19 EDT 1997

Hi.

I may be a bit cynical, but I'm sure the President, his wife, and the VP
get 'net threats every day.  I would seriously doubt if the SS has time to
trace each and every e' that occurs.  However if this isn't the first time,
and they can trace a pattern, then you might be hearing from them.

There is also the a serious consideration of proof.  *If* you give the SS a
record of all patrons using the 'net in your library on a given occasion,
can they prove that User A is the offending party?  Technically NO.  Not
unless you keep log files for each machine electronically.  Someone could
have spoofed the IP address of your ISP and sent the offensive letter from
a different computer.

At our public library, the only data we collect from patrons is for our
use.  If the machine is damaged I want to know who did it, so that I can
clear up any in-house issues.

.02
Cynthia Hetherington
Englewood Public, NJ