Disabling Printer Control in Netscape 3.0?

Ali Smeck asmeck at SHRSYS.HSLC.ORG
Thu Oct 23 18:16:58 EDT 1997

Hello everybody,
I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, but we are at our wit's
end...

We have two open-access Internet terminals located far from the
reference desk and offices (so we can't see who is using them and just
tell him/her to stop).  They are connected to our Novell 3.x network.

Although I have talked to users, posted huge signs, and periodically
checked on the settings, some users continue to change the printer
settings to their "usual" printer--which is on another floor, different
type of printer, etc.  Then they do not change the settings back to the
library printer.  Or, worse yet, they botch the job and completely
disconnect the machine from all printers.

The next user comes in, prints many different pages, expects to find the
printouts waiting at the library printer designated for this purpose,
and finds NOTHING AT ALL (jobs are not even in the queue).

So, the question of the day is, is there any way to disable or "gray
out" the Print/Setup/Network option in Netscape 3.0?  I realize this may
be a Novell question, but our IS department could only recommend that I
check the printers as often as possible.  (running across the building
8x per day?)

Can anyone make recommendations to me for my (increasingly frustrated)
users?  I'd really appreciate it.

Ali Smeck
Assistant Librarian
Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP