Ignore my last message

Roy Tennant rtennant at library.berkeley.edu
Wed Oct 22 12:11:42 EDT 1997

This seems like an appropriate opportunity to remind everyone of the
Web4Lib posting policy, especially since there have been other
infractions of late. This policy is of course available on the Web4Lib
Web site at http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Web4Lib/ where you will find
links to the CERT, CIAC, Internet Hoaxes, and Virus Hoaxes sites.

Posting Policy

The following policy governs all postings to the Web4Lib list. Offenders
will be warned once and removed from the list after
further infractions:

    1.All messages must relate, however slightly, to the general topic of
World Wide Web systems and libraries or library staff. The list owner
interprets this rather broadly, but messages that are clearly off-topic
not be tolerated.
    2.Advertisements are not appropriate. However, a simple statement
that offers a way to follow-up for more information on a service or
product is tolerated if it accompanies a substantive message discussing
a subject appropriate to the list.
    3.Virus warnings (not bug reports), are strongly discouraged, and
ONLY official CERT or CIAC advisories are acceptable. In addition,
before forwarding any virus information you may wish to check Internet
Hoaxes and Virus Hoaxes for hoax information and how to spot hoaxes.
    4.Personal attacks such as name calling and personal insults will not
be tolerated. Comments that are intended only to enrage the recipient
rather than contribute to thoughtful discussion are prohibited.
    5.All postings must be free of copyright restrictions that limit
distribution. For example, posting a significant amount of a copyrighted
work verbatim requires the permission of the copyright holder. To verify
that such permission was obtained, all postings of this nature must
include a statement that this is the case.

As always, thank you for your cooperation. The over 3,300 subscribers
will appreciate it.
Roy Tennant
Web4Lib Owner