Printing specific pages

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Wed Oct 22 09:48:14 EDT 1997

>One solution would be to switch to Internet Explorer 4.0. From
>the very beginning Netscape tantalized us with a Print
>Selection option that was an inactive gray...

I'll defer to anyone with Windows programming experience, but I don't think
we can blame Netscape for tantalizing us with this.  They seem just to be
using the standard print dialog box.  Opera, and for that matter Wordpad,
both show the selection button greyed out.

You can fault Netscape for not enabling it, however.  I'll reiterate my
earlier comment that one of Netscape's several long-standing shortcomings
(if that makes sense) is printing support.

>...There is of course a catch to all this wonder [MSIE's print selection
feature]. In 4.0 the
>Print button is an immediate Print Document to Default Printer
>that gives you no choices. To see the Print Selection option,
>you have to use the Print command on the File menu, a major
>pain for user education. We're only beginning to look at 4.0
>and Active Desktop as an interface for public workstations, so
>I haven't checked yet to see if the IE Administrator's Kit
>would let us change the Print button.

This is in line with Microsoft's other applications.  The print icon or
Ctrl-P is intended as a shortcut that bypasses the print dialog box and uses
all its default options.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu