IE 4 and copyright

Mike McGuire mike at tcnet.org
Fri Oct 17 00:42:03 EDT 1997

On Thu, 16 Oct 1997, Marcos Silva wrote:

> I was under the impression that IE 4 was freeware and it can be installed
> on our workstations without restrictions. The vendor, however, where I
> purchased the CD-ROM informed me that IE 4 is not freeware and individual
> copies must be purchased for each station. I could not find any information
> on the Microsoft homepage (except where it says you can download IE 4 for
> free). Does anyone know whether the CD version can be copied without
> restrictions.

Wow ... who's your vendor?

I'm assuming you have otherwise installed liscensed versions of Windows on
all your public workstations.

If so, that's not how I read the copyright on MSIE 4 ... but, then again,
I'm not a lawyer ... just a librarian :) And, I'm one of those who
actually *do* read the 'Terms of Acceptance' agreements when they pop on
the screen.

Mike McGuire
Library Director
Network Administrator