IE 4 and copyright

Peter Murray pem at po.cwru.edu
Thu Oct 16 21:19:58 EDT 1997

--On Thu, Oct 16, 1997 9:12 PM -0400 "Vladislav S. Davidzon"
<davidzon at metronet.lib.mi.us> wrote:
> Both netscape and IE are free, IE for everyone, Netscape for educational
> organizations and personal use (at least last time I checked it was)

Netscape is not free for "personal use".  Here is Netscape's terms (from
http://home.netscape.com/download/license_text.html )

 Part I - Terms Applicable When License Fees Not (Yet) Paid
 (Limited to Evaluation, Educational and Nonprofit Use)

 LICENSE GRANT. Licensor grants you a non-exclusive license to use the
 Software free of charge if (a) you are a student, faculty member or
 staff member of an educational institution (K-12, junior college,
 college or university, or the international equivalent, or a library), a
 staff member of a religious organization or an employee of an
 organization which meets Licensor's criteria for a charitable non-profit
 organization; or (b) your use of the Software is for the purpose of
 evaluating whether to purchase an ongoing license to the Software. The
 evaluation period for use by or on behalf of a commercial entity is
 limited to ninety (90) days; evaluation use by others is not subject to
 this ninety (90) day limit. Government agencies (other than public
 libraries) are not considered educational, religious or charitable
 non-profit organizations for purposes of this Agreement. [...]

Peter
Peter Murray, Library Systems Manager                    pem at po.cwru.edu
Digital Media Services                 http://www.cwru.edu/home/pem.html
Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio          W:216-368-5888