Fw: X-Stop blocking software -Reply

Sheryl Dwinell dwinells at vms.csd.mu.edu
Wed Oct 15 14:18:04 EDT 1997

Thanks for making such intelligent remarks, Karen.  Just as those who
endorse filters in libraries seem to get misrepresented as scourges to free
speech, those who point out the faulty aspects of filters seemed to get
misrepresented as porn pushers, free speech absolutists & anti-filterers.
I think that noting and finding flaws in filters and pointing them out to
our colleagues is part of contributing to the profession.  There comes a
point where you have to shut off your emotional feelings about filters and
look at them objectively. Positive claims that come directly from the
vendor and then get repeated by those supporting filters really don't help
a library make such an important decision. I'd be more impressed by a
filter's endorsers including actual public libraries & librarians than
organizations such as Family Friendly Libraries & Enough Is Enough.

By the way, here's one of my favorite quotes from one of the co-founders of
FFL, Phil Burress:

. "Right to read? It's a bunch of hogwash," he says. "You don't have the
right to read anything you want. We have to protect each other from
dangerous material."

Yeah, that's "Family Friendly" alright.

Sheryl Dwinell * Cataloger/DBM Librarian/Webmaster
Memorial Library * Marquette University
P.O. Box 3141 * Milwaukee, WI 53201-3141
414-288-3406 * dwinells at vms.csd.mu.edu