County May Allow Parents to Bar Children From Interne

CMUNSON CMUNSON at aaas.org
Wed Oct 15 13:29:55 EDT 1997

Wilfred Drew wrote:
>I must voice my support for Roy's decision.  Copyright has nothing to do it
>being "easier just to
>mail the damn article to this list."   The easy way is eldom the right way
>or the preferred way.  Having been a victim of copyright abuse, I tend to
>err on the cautious side.  I strongly suggest we all do that.  The blatant
>violations I have seen here recently fly in the face of common sense and
>sound judgement.

<GADFLY MODE ON>
But it does, Mr. Drew! If it was an article from a magazine, I would have
sought reprint permission, which I have done before on this list. But
online newspaper articles are more ephemeral and given how newspapers run
their web sites, simply citing a URL is not enough! Secondly, most of the
subscribers on this list don't have access to the paper versions of the
article and others may have slow modem connections. Why can't I or David,
share an article with this list? I'm not publishing it. I pay for a
subscription to the Post.

I think it is unfair to hold those who have a different interpretation of
fair use to the narrow, propertarian, pro-corporate interpretation of fair
use that other have.

</GADFLY MODE ON>

Chuck