WYSIWYG editors and extraneous code -Reply

Steve Cramer scramer at davenport.edu
Tue Oct 14 18:14:38 EDT 1997

But compare the amount of bandwidth a typical HTML file
fills to the bandwidth the associated *graphics* on that
sam page fills. The ratio of on many home pages is easily 1
to 50. 20% more of a .8K HTML would be an
insignificant drag on bandwidth when web designers often
use palettes with millions of colors, video and audio files,
applets, etc.

Steve Cramer
Davenport College
Holland, Michigan USA
scramer at davenpoer.edu

>>> James Klock <j-klock at evanston.lib.il.us> October
14, 1997  10:14 am >>>
I promised myself I wouldn't get into this one, but I would
like to say that I think the thing that is being largely
overlooked in this discussion is that bloated code fills the
bandwidth faster.  With HTML, file sizes tend to be
relatively small, so nobody minds.  But as the kinds of
information being distributed throught the Internet become
more sophisticated, the extra 20% overhead of bloated
code has real potential to choke the wires (especially that
teeny little 28.8Kbd line going to the back of the average
end-user's home computer...) If we set the precedent now
of accepting hideous bloated code, we're setting ourselves
up for a much more miserable tomorrow...