Updating: Full Text Daily News Archives With Search Engines

Peter Milbury pmilbury at cusd.chico.k12.ca.us
Sat Oct 11 19:47:07 EDT 1997

Hello Web4Lib Friends,                        (Cross-posted to LM_NET)

   Earlier this year I discovered an interesting way to supplement our two
commercial magazine and newspaper databases that we subscribe to at CHS.
As part of a research project with a CHS English teacher, I sought out a
couple dozen free, online daily newspapers and other daily news sources,
each with full-text articles accessible through the use of their own local
search engines.

   These resources give our students access to news stories that are
often not included with typical commercial databases which purchased by
K-12 schools. It also provides them with practice using a variety of
searching commands/protocols.

   I am now in the process of updating the links, and ask for your help

   If you know of a daily news source that has substantial full-text
archives (e.g., more than one year), which is free, and accessible
through a search engine, please let me know. I am especially seeking
sources that do not require registration/passwords. Need not be a U.S.
source.

   Please send the resource name & URL to:
      PMILBURY at CUSD.CHICO.K12.CA.US

   News source must be:
     1. Full-text w/substantial archives (1+ years)
     2. Searchable via search engine
     3. Daily (at least 5 days per week)
     4. Free

   Please visit the Chico High School Library Full Text Daily News
Archives With Search Engines at:
    http://www.chs.chico.k12.ca.us/libr/webres/news-ss.html

TIA very much for your assistance!

Peter Milbury,
Librarian-Mentor Teacher      http://www.cusd.chico.k12.ca.us/~pmilbury
American Memory Fellow:  Library Of Congress - National Digital Library
Chico High School, Chico, CA 95926       http://www.chs.chico.k12.ca.us
A National Blue Ribbon and California Distinguished School 916-891-3036