administering collections of internet links

Prentiss Riddle riddle at is.rice.edu
Fri Oct 10 13:04:03 EDT 1997

> From: "Elizabeth L. Blakely" <blakely1 at jeflin.tju.edu>
> To: Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at library.berkeley.edu>
> Subject: administering collections of internet links
>
> Like many libraries we are creating a set of topically organized links to
> Internet sites, a miniature "Yahoo" that provides annotated links selected
> to support our user groups particular needs.  As our lists of sites grows
> we find the overlap and time to edit hard-coded lists time consuming
> hampering its growth and consistency.
>
> I know about the OMNI project which provides an administrative
> gateway/database.  Does anyone have any experience with OMNI or know of
> any such tools they can recommend or warn me about.  OMNI's address is
> omni.ac.uk.

The software on which OMNI is based is called ROADS, and I believe a
number of other projects use ROADS as well.  We're just getting started
on a trial of it here at Rice.  For more info, see:

	http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/roads/

-- Prentiss Riddle ("aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada") riddle at rice.edu
-- Webmaster, Rice University / http://is.rice.edu/~riddle
-- Home office: 2002-A Guadalupe St. #285, Austin, TX 78705 / 512-323-0708