Logging chat sessions

Stacy Pober Spober at manhattan.edu
Thu Oct 9 21:58:44 EDT 1997

After muttering that I had never seen a scholarly use of chat and
deleting the chat clients from the public area computers, one of the
instructors here has given his classes an assignment to interview
someone using Internet chat.

Okay, so we finally we have a use for chat.  The problem is that the
instructor specifically encouraged the students to use Yahoo's chat,
and log their session to disk for later transcription.    The chat
sessions are easy enough to arrange (we use the "html" option at the
Yahoo chat site).  However, I have been unable to find a way to save
these sessions.  There doesn't seem to be an onscreen menu item or
icon for logging to disk.  The Yahoo chat occurs within a frame, and
saving the frames one by one as the text in the window scrolls up is
tedious and impractical.

Is there a way to log Yahoo chat sessions to disk?  If not, do we
have to use an alternative chat program such as mIRC?  (and can that
connect to Yahoo?)

The assignment is to interview a "baby boomer" and Yahoo has specific
age-group chat rooms.  One student worked around the logging problem
by meeting her boomer in the room and then arranging to do the
interview by email.   Since the instructor clearly wanted to
encourage live chat sessions, this didn't really solve the problem.

Suggestions?

Stacy Pober
Information Alchemist
Manhattan College Libraries