WEB4LIB digest 813

Steve Hooley hooleyss at gsaix2.cc.GaSoU.EDU
Thu Oct 9 10:14:53 EDT 1997

I use the Opera browser to design web pages so I'll know what most people
will be seeing (besides, I love visiting 'Netscape-Enhanced' sites with it!)

>Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 10:52:28 -0700
>Sender: web4lib at library.berkeley.edu
>From: Library Internet Resources Co-ordinator <webguru at gtu.edu>
>To: Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at library.berkeley.edu>
>Subject: Re: WEB4LIB digest 813
>
>At 7:39 AM -0700 10/5/97, JQ Johnson wrote:
>>...and the de facto standards defined by the popular browsers. Ignoring the
>>imprtance of the last is ignoring economic and practical reality.
>
>In what way?
>
>I mean why should I take the effort to design pages with features that can
>only be seen by the current versions of one or two browsers?
>
>Also many of the students I talk to are using old versions of browsers as
>they cannot afford to, or their computers are incapable of, adding more RAM.
>
>Perhaps that doesn't matter if your are a comercial site that only wants to
>reach people who have high powered machines and the expertise to upgrade
>their browsers on a regular basis but in an academic situation our patrons
>often have hand me down machines.
>

>Library Internet Resources Co-ordinator webguru at gtu.edu
>(currently Gilles Poitras gpoitras at gtu.edu)
>Graduate Theological Union Library
>2400 Ridge Road         Berkeley, California, USA
>http://www.gtu.edu/library/

 Stephen S. Hooley                "When the going gets
 Romulan Tech Support              weird, the weird

 Systems Group                     turn pro."

 Henderson Library                  -- Hunter S. Thompson

 Ga Southern Univ

 Statesboro, GA 30460     www2.gasou.edu/facstaff/hooleyss