"Default" Pages in MS FrontPage -Reply

Sheryl Dwinell dwinells at vms.csd.mu.edu
Wed Oct 8 09:52:17 EDT 1997

>1) Rename it on the fly while uploading--e.g. ftp foobird.html
>index.html  (that's using Unix, but I'm sure some Windows ftp
>programs offer this feature--WS_FTP mentions it in its options)
>
>2) Give the file two names on the server; e.g.
>
>ln foobird.html index.html

These are great ideas that Karen gave, especially using the good ol' UNIX
link command.  Personally, I do the third. I use FP too, but our server
doesn't have the FP server extensions, so I ftp my pages from my PC onto
the server. Thus, I have a backup of every file. Whenever I export an
index.html file, I check really carefully to see which directory I'm in and
no matter what files I'm exporting (unless it's some huge number after some
global change) I open my browser and check the pages to see how they look
after editing.  Our site is still small enough that I can be this nit-picky.

The original poster had said something about his webmaster saying that in
FP you 'couldn't' or 'weren't allowed' to name more than one page in the
entire web 'index.html'.  I haven't seen anyone else respond to this on the
list, but this just doesn't seem right to me.  I talked to a friend of mine
who is running a corporate site using FP97 and he scratched his head too at
this statement.  I wonder if the original poster could fill us in on what
has transpired since his posting.

Thanks,

Sheryl Dwinell * Cataloger/DBM Librarian/Webmaster
Memorial Library * Marquette University
P.O. Box 3141 * Milwaukee, WI 53201-3141
414-288-3406 * dwinells at vms.csd.mu.edu