Counters

Terry Huwe thuwe at library.berkeley.edu
Fri Oct 3 15:19:46 EDT 1997

In our case, we have a commercial counter that count hits on our
index.html page for the Institute of Industrial Relations as an indicator
of use.  However, it's not visible to users.  We find this helpful
because it gives us some idea of traffic.  The main reason we've
resorted to this is that our web site (http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~iir)
runs on a shared-use server which is administered by another department.
We find it easier (at least in the short term) than working out a way to
display server statistics with the administrator.  I should add that this
site has nearly 1,000 separate files representing the work of many
different units, so it's been politically helpful to have an estimate of
hits.  Also, we have formatted the counter to discount hits by the two
individuals with web server software access (which would skew
statistics).

Obviously, I'd rather buy my own server!  I'm working on that.... :-)

Terry Huwe
Terence K. Huwe
Director of Library and Information Resources
Institute of Industrial Relations
University of California at Berkeley
Voice:  (510) 642-1705
Fax:  (510) 642-6432