Counters

Roy Tennant rtennant at library.berkeley.edu
Mon Oct 6 13:32:43 EDT 1997

Every Web server software of which I'm familiar records a number of
statistics. What is done with those statistics is in the hands of the
person managing the Web server. There are various programs (both free and
commercial) that can be used to produce various reports from the raw log
files. You need to check with the person who manages the Web server where
your site is hosted to see what your options are. If you are that person,
then you should load some statistical analysis software. Go to

http://www.yahoo.com/Computers_and_Internet/Software/Internet/
World_Wide_Web/Servers/Log_Analysis_Tools/

to see what's available.

While you're at it, enter a bogus document address for your Web server.
If all you get is an error message like this:

404 Not Found
The requested URL /xxx was not found on this server.

Then you have something else to speak with your Web manager about. They
can easily implement a more useful Web page instead of this very
unhelpful message. I suggest a page that offers a server-wide search
option, a list of links to the main sections of your site, and some
advice on other strategies to try (check for typos, chop the URL, etc.).
Roy Tennant