Netscape Navigator 4.04

Byron C. Mayes bcmayes at shiva.hunter.cuny.edu
Wed Nov 26 10:17:21 EST 1997

On Tue, 25 Nov 1997, Andrew J. Mutch wrote:

> I would second the use of stand-alone 4.04.
>
> As noted, the Java bug seems to have been corrected.  Also, on my
> machines, in comparison to earlier 4.x versions of Navigator, it loads
> much more quickly.

Are the settings (home page, colors, fonts, etc.) still available in the
stand-alone version of Netscape 4.x?

While mail is one thing we need to block here at Hunter, maintaining the
settings is another (from my standpoint, that's even more important). We
can certainly make our .INI and bookmark files read-only, but then, we do
that with version 3 already. It'd be nice if there wasn't even the
appearance of an option to change default settings, but that's probably
wishful thinking.

Is the lack of Messenger and the rest of the "extended" components
(Collabra, Composer, Conference, etc) the only benefit of stand-alone
Navigator 4?

Byron

 Prof. Byron C. Mayes
 Systems Librarian/Assistant Professor
 Hunter College of the City University of New York
 695 Park Avenue * New York, New York 10021
 bcmayes at shiva.hunter.cuny.edu  * 212-772-4168 * Fax: 212-772-5113