Yahoo - What librarians CAN do

Louis Rosenfeld lou at argus-inc.com
Thu Nov 20 15:33:53 EST 1997

On Thu, 20 Nov 1997, Wilfred Drew wrote:

> I am opposed to librarians trying to catalog the Internet.  We should be
> concentrating on developing the subject guides as suggested by Eric
> Rumsey.  Several years ago after I wrote Not Just Cows I issued a
> challenge on PACS-L suggesting that each librarian and/or library pick a
> subject and create a highly selective guide to online resources.  My
> challenge was pretty much ignored.  Not Just Cows is such a guide.  It
> is highly selective and does tend to reflect my likes and dislikes.  Why
> can't each one of us select a narrow or broad subject and create a
> selective yet comprehensive guide to internet/online resources?  We used
> top write such things about the print literature. They are called
> bibliographies.

Let me add that one of the primary reasons we created the Argus
Clearinghouse back in 1993 (then the Clearinghouse for Subject-Oriented
Internet Resource Guides) was precisely in response to pioneering guides
like Not Just Cows.  Should you decide to pick up Bill's gauntlet, please
submit your guide for inclusion in the Argus Clearinghouse
(http://www.clearinghouse.net).

Louis Rosenfeld                                             lou at argus-inc.com
Argus Associates, Inc.                                   http://argus-inc.com
109 Catherine Street                                   voice: +1.313.913.0010
Ann Arbor, MI  48104  USA                                fax: +1.313.213.8082

Information Architecture for the World Wide Web  (L. Rosenfeld & P. Morville)
O'Reilly & Associates; Jan 1998.      http://www.ora.com/catalog/infotecture/