Web-based cataloging

Nick Arnett narnett at verity.com
Thu Nov 20 13:41:36 EST 1997

At 08:45 AM 11/20/97 -0800, Lori A. Schwabenbauer, Camden County Library wrote:
>Well put, Steve.  With the advent of web-based catalogs, there's no reason not
>to build a catalog with links to Internet resources.  In fact, what if....what
>if many libraries decided to cooperate in the effort to catalog and maintain
>records for Internet resources, and built links to *each other's* catalog
>records via the Internet?

I hate to allude to vaporware, but since it came up... we're quite
interested in supporting such a project, particularly among academic and
public libraries, starting next spring.  We've already begun discussions
with one of the large universities with which we have an affiliation.  Some
of you have seen at talks I've given in the last few months the software
tools we've developed for this kind of work.

Nick
--
       Product Manager, Knowledge Applications
        Verity Inc.  (http://www.verity.com/)